Free Camp Sites on the Nullabor

Submitted: Monday, Jul 28, 2008 at 13:30
ThreadID: 60238 Views:9997 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, my family and I are planning a trip next year driving from Perth To Alice Springs. we will be looking to stop overnight at a free campsite across the nullabor. ( overnight on the way there and maybe a full day rest on the way back)
Does anyone have suggestions for the best places. We are in a 2wd with a soft floor camper trailer and have 2 children with us aged 4 and 8. We want to look for the least windiest and safest spot ( if at all possible across there)
We recently camped at Mount Robinson Free Camp North of Newman WA and the winds there really rocked the camper as it was hard to peg due to the rocky ground.

If anyone knows of good spots that are maybe away from the cliff edges, it would be really helpful

Cheers Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Squizzy - Monday, Jul 28, 2008 at 15:44

Monday, Jul 28, 2008 at 15:44
G'day Tony,

I'm not sure how long you intend to take crossing the Nullabor, but it sounds like you only want one night in a free site.

If you can make it to this one it is well protected from wind, is in quite a distance off the road, and has firewood if you look around a bit.

It is approx 43 K's east of Cocklebiddy and 47 K's west of Madura on the south side of the road, and has an emergency phone, so just look for the phone antennae.

We have used this site twice now, and it has plenty of room, so if someone is in there just go in a bit deeper.

Camps Australia 4 is a good book to have when travelling, you should get it.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 317679

Reply By: aka - Monday, Jul 28, 2008 at 16:28

Monday, Jul 28, 2008 at 16:28
We stopped 25 k,s before Balladonia a real good site then 10k,s after the border on the cliff,s then you could make Penong caravan park or go to Ceduna
AnswerID: 317685

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Jul 28, 2008 at 18:00

Monday, Jul 28, 2008 at 18:00
Hi Tony

Last time we went across, we stayed in the over night area at the
Nullabor Service Station, plenty of room and you can use the showers
not to much noise, and a bit of security.

Cheers

Daza
AnswerID: 317700

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jul 28, 2008 at 18:41

Monday, Jul 28, 2008 at 18:41
Tony,

we went across and back from Perth just a few weeks ago.

Heading east there is a nice campsite on the LH side of the road about 50k east of Norseman. Plenty of room, toilets, bins, fireplaces. No probs with security. I always walk up and introduce my self so I can make an assessment (so can they).

It is bitumen to start with but you can go 100m or so in and get some quiet sandy spots.

Another nice one is just 10ks west of Mundrabilla on the LHS of the road. It's called Jillah Rockhole. Very niice. Toilets, bins and quieter spots further in.

If you need a caravan park, Frazer Range is 100ks east of Norseman. Very nice. It's on a station.

Expensive fuel at Balladonia, Caiguna. Cheapest at Norseman is the Caltex or the Shell in town.

Mundrabilla is the next cheapest, same price at Eucla but easier to get in and out of. Penong and Nundroo are the next cheapest heading east. The little caravan park at Nundroo is OK.

All the places I've mentioned are safe and reasonably sheltered.

I assume you will be going up the bitumen from Port Augusta? Stop at the Quorn caravan Park (very nice) and take the family on the Pitchi Ritchi steam train. You'll love it.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 317709

Follow Up By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:12

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:12
Thanks for the updated info GB, I'm off to WA from Brisbane this week via Darwin & will be coming back through the Nullabor in November. I've added your info to my trip notes.

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 584199

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:26

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2008 at 11:26
Thanks guys, some great info to help with our itinery. I will def get the Camps book. always great to get first hand knowledge
Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 317835

Sponsored Links